Tucepi is located along the middle of Southern Croatian coast, in the heart of Dalmatia. This famous tourist mecca is eighty kilometres from the Split airport and linked to all European centres by roads and a large ferry port nearby. Due to its unique location, Tučepi is a little tourist paradise within reach.
Nowadays the village of Tučepi is recognized as a popular tourist destination in the guidebooks of modern Croatian and European travellers. However, thanks to its favourable geographical position, Tučepi has been a settlement for four thousand vears. To the west its boundaries touch the town of Makarska, the only urban centre of the area called the Makarsko primorje in Croatian i.e. the Makarska Coastland, or popularly the Makarska Riviera. The imposine mountain of Biokovo represents the northern border of the village.
The hamlets of Tučepi: Podpeć. Čovići, Srida sela, Šimići and Podstup, built in traditional Mediterranean style, are spread over a large area of coastal limestone slopes. Rich in natural water springs, the area abounds with terraced eardens, vineyards and olive-groves. The modern village of Tučepi, situated in the south of the area. along the four kilometres of mild, cultivated pebbly shore, seeks its prosperity in tourism.
The oldest find witnessing the existence of a settlement is a necropolis on the soutb slopes of the hill Sutvid, which dates from the period of Classical Antiquity (Romans, 1st cent.AD-6th c.AD). At the beginning of the twentieth century several stelae (upright stone slabs, used as monuments) engraved with inscriptions, human skeleton graves, various grave offerings and several specimens of Roman coins (2nd cent. AD-4th cent. AD) were found on the same site.To the east of the hill Sutvid, near the road that links the coastal area with the inlands, there is the site of Okrumbica. Numerous archaeological traces like remains of mortar walls, tegulae (tiles), fragments ot various ceramics and an iron spear, provide evidence proving that a Late Antiquity settlement might have existed on the locality. The site of Javorak covers the broader area round the crossroads which connect the local ways between Covici and Podpec. Its position, and the accidental discovery of coins, walls and a necropolis made the famous Venetian traveller and author of the travelogue "Viaggio in Dalmazia" (Venice, 1774) Alberto Fortis ( 1141-1803) come to the conclusion that the locality could have been the site of the Late Antiquity Laurentum described by, Procopius, a Byzantine historian (500? - 565? AD).
Besides the localities mentioned above, there are others that represent further evidence of the continuity of life in the Tucepi area. One of them, the church called Crkva Gospina rodenja (the church of Our Ladys Birth) is situated on the local cemetery in the south-east, above the coastal motorway).The other one, called Crkva svetog Jure (St. George'church). situated in the southwest of the village, is surrounded by the present-day hotel complex. St.George's church was built in 1311 and it has been preserved as a one-nave Romanesque-Gothic building with a semicircular apse. In the interior of the church everal consecration crosses, decorated in paint, have been preserved as well. Having been thoroughly explored by archaeologists and restorers, the church aas completely restored in the years 1992 and 1993. The site shows different periods of development: an Early Roman villa rustica ( 1st - 2nd cent. AD), a Late Antiquity oratory, a Middle Ages church with a necropolis and a seventeenth century coenobium, an annex attached later to the south part of the building. On the very top of the hill Sutvid there is a Prehistoric site with the foundations of St.Vid's church. It is supposed that the Croats, at the time of settling this area in the seventh century, used to worship their pagan God Svevid on the locality mentioned. After having been christened they turned the pagan temple into the Christian church. The Church of Our Lady's Birth was built in 1703 as a one nave building having all the features of the Dalmatian provincial Baroque style.